Monday, August 3, 2015

Day One

My coach, Erin, walked up to me after our first WOD of Sports Training today and asked me what was wrong. We had just finished a set of heavy Clean and Jerks. I told her I was OK, but I was trying to figure out why she asked me that. I realized my face must have looked very serious because I was going through everything I did wrong in my head. Not enough hips, too much arm...

I was also questioning if I should have gone up five more pounds on each of my lifts. Hence the title of my blog and the theme of this journey: the power of five more pounds in my CrossFit Life. I am steady at 195lbs on my Deadlift PR, 100 on my Power Clean, etc. - just to take it up five more pounds is a barrier for me. But that is why I am committing to this program. To go to a new place with my pain tolerance, my form and my fear. I REALLY want to be over this damn fear of punching through to the next level of fitness.

Why I know I can -
My teammates are amazing. The men and women I am joining in the Sports Training program are high intensity. Julie has competed in the CrossFit games, Derek and Steven are coaches, and everyone else in the room today was lifting...well... at LEAST five more pounds than me.
So I know what I have to do.

I have to listen to my coach. Erin is tough, but really wants us to succeed. I have to trust her even when I doubt myself.
I have to focus. I have to compete against me and not let my ego get in the way of good form and healthy progression.
I have to celebrate my teammates, because we will be getting through this together for seven months.
I have to be smart. I will do what I can do.

I am 48 years old. This will not be an excuse. It will be an inspiration. But it does mean I train different than a younger athlete. I have to stretch more- Derek teased me today and said our early start will cut in to my typical hour of "Buy In!" I also have to get my rest and hydrate - really hydrate!

Being 48, though, brings another advantage to me as an athlete - I know what I want. I want to be strong. I want absolute confidence that I can achieve a goal, like a marathon or a triathlon, without doubting myself.
I also want to set an example for my 12-year-old daughter - that if you work hard and support your teammates, it pays off.

Five pounds...here I come...many times over.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you! What a brave step to join the Sports Training Program AND to start a blog! You'll find that talking it out on your blog will give you a new perspective and because it's yours, you can say anything you need to say. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete